Thursday, September 23, 2010

Yes, I'm Parking a Mini-Van

…but it’s not mine. Thanks to Enterprise Rent-A-Car, I’m motoring around the vehicle I said I’d never own. Never drive. It’s “never” on four, voluptuous wheels—and it has more underground storage than we have in our attic, plus the crass bonus of being able to tune in to Howard Stern via satellite radio (Max: earmuffs!). I have room to haul a mob squad (can you buy those at Heinen’s?), or perhaps more important, space to cart home anything including lumber from Home Depot (or bags of sale items from Dillard’s).

Sure, it’s a bus, but it’s sleek. And, besides…it’s just a rental for two weeks, while my VW gets fixed after a fender-bender. (Thankfully, this occurred during one of the few times I have driven solo with an empty car seat in the last several months.)
           
Did I mention that Chrysler Town & Country Touring (with all that storage!) takes up 75 percent of our driveway and has surely spurred neighborhood talk? Is she pregnant again already? Did they get another dog? Is she freelancing for Fed-Ex, delivering freight? And, of course, “Wait, didn’t she just get a new car?!” (Full disclosure: I traded in my happy-mobile, a Beetle, for a more grown-up Tiguan back in March, after a few trips to Babies R Us and a wakeup call that even an umbrella stroller was a squeeze.)

So far, me and The Mom Ride XL 2000 are doing just fine. (I even mimic the beep-beep-beep truck backing sound when exiting our driveway.)

But truly, to set the record straight: I do not own a mom-van.
But…never say never. (Storage!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment