Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mama!

Max will do anything to avoid a nap...but he can repeat this trick-of-the-day anytime (and I've been waiting for it!).

After a brisk walk with the dog, a round in the jumper, some floor time and chilling on my lap while I managed some work emails, I decided it was time for Max to take a short snooze. It was past time. I set him in his crib with his lovie, a yellow blanket with ribbon tabs that he loves to rub between his tiny fingers. The textures are each different and interesting. He toyed around for a minute, lying on his back. Then he stiffened, and I stood there and watched his eyes widen and his lips form a tiny, pursed frown. He let out a whimper, as if to say, "Please - no nap..."

"Max, time for a nap...goodnight," I said to him softly with encouragement. 

Then, he looked me in the eye, and I looked at him. He spoke: "Mama. Mama." (!!!!!)
He said it twice, enunciating, even. There was no other babble, just "Mama. Mama." (Don't leave.)

My heart skipped and I lifted him out of the crib and gave him a big hug! "Mama!" I repeated, on the verge of waterworks.

Did he know he was calling for me, or was it a baby sound? Because of his expression, I have to believe it was genuine...and he might have even known that he wouldn't have to stay in his crib long if he simply called out, "Mama."

I've been waiting for your first word, little man. And that one (even if it was baby noise) was oh, so very sweet. I'm still melting.

Now, say it again Mr. Max...this time, with a smile.

1 comment: